Healthy, happy homes love Meliora Cleaning Products — safe, non-toxic cleaning and laundry products that actually work. Made in small batches in Chicago, often by founders Mike and Kate themselves, with as many local ingredients as possible. Their products take clean to the next level by disclosing every single ingredient used. Meliora is latin for “better” and we happen to agree!
For the holidays, we're releasing Peppermint-scented Laundry Powder.
✓ Single-Use Plastic-Free
✓ Palm-Oil Free
✓ Synthetic Fragrance-Free
A dash of certified organic peppermint essential oil gives your laundry room a festive feeling, even as you wonder how on earth your niece or nephew spilled ALL the eggnog on the tablecloth.
For a little extra holiday cheer, For every PEPPERMINT product sold, we're donating 3% to Women's Voices for the Earth.
Meliora Cleaning Products' Laundry Powder will become your go-to option to make your laundry better for your family and your home. We use only what you need to clean your clothes. Our Laundry Powder is free of dyes, preservatives, brighteners, and synthetic fragrances.
Instructions for use:
Add Laundry Powder directly to washer with clothes
- For HE Washers, use 1/2 scoop (1/2 tablespoon)
- For Standard Washers, use 1 scoop (1 tablespoon)
Our Laundry Powder comes in a variety of sizes, each available in all scents:
- 128 HE (64 Standard) Loads: Our best selling size and a great value, too. The cardboard/steel canister is easy to recycle or reuse. Comes with or without a scoop. Net Wt. 35 oz.
Full Ingredient List: Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Sodium Carbonate (Washing Soda), Vegetable Soap [Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Water], Organic Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil
Nerd Alert: More Detailed Information On Ingredients:
- Sodium Bicarbonate: Also known as baking soda, sodium bicarbonate is an odor neutralizer.
- Sodium Carbonate: Also known as washing soda or soda ash, sodium carbonate is a pH adjuster. It raises the pH of the washing water, which results in more effective cleaning. For this reason it's often referred to as a laundry 'booster'.
- Vegetable Soap:
- Sodium Cocoate: This is the chemical name of saponified (that is, 'made into soap') coconut oil. It's the chemical that grabs onto both dirt and water to do the cleaning.
- Glycerin: This substance is chemically a type of alcohol and is naturally created when the oil is converted into soap. Glycerin is known for skin-softening abilities and is an effective solvent, meaning it can dissolve substances such as stains and dirts.
- Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil: There is a small amount of coconut oil left in the soap after conversion to sodium cocoate. This is because we use sodium hydroxide, or lye, in the conversion process and leaving excess oil ensures there is no remaining lye in the finished product. Some soapmakers refer to this as 'superfatting' and more oil remaining results in a softer, more moisturizing soap. Our coconut soap has only a small amount of excess oil, so it is not the luxurious body type and more of a 'get the job done' soap.
- Water: Water is used in the soapmaking process as a substance that dissolves lye and then is a medium so the lye can reach all of the oil to react. After being useful in this process, the water is allowed to evaporate from the soap over a period of several weeks, and the resulting dried soap has very little water. There is only about 5% water remaining in the finished soap, thus making it more shelf stable than a liquid soap that would require a preservative due to the high (about 60%) water.
More about Women's Voices for the Earth
Women's Voices for the Earth is a non-profit organization out of Missoula, Montana. As our primary 1% for the Planet partner, Women's Voices is a voice for ALL women, envisioning "a world where women lead to create a healthy environment without toxic chemicals in our workplaces, homes, and communities." (from womensvoices.org).