Each year, Americans spend one-hundred forty-five trillion dollars buying things. Imagine if we spent a fraction of that on the things we want and need, while also supporting brands that give back? How does one even know where to start? Welcome to DoneGood.com, where every purchase you make fights hunger, climate change and supports many other meaningful causes. We do the research on all of our brands and their products, so you can focus on other stuff like what color to choose or scent to try!
What different ways can brands give back?
Brands can give back by being good to our environment:
The fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world. Big brands can help change this through the type of materials used to create their clothing and how their clothing is created and transported. For 50 years, Patagonia has always kept taking care of people and the planet in mind when creating their products. They really took things up a notch in September 2022, when Patagonia founder, Yvon Chouinard, donated the company’s non-voting stocks to fighting climate change. That’s huge!
Brands can give back by being good to their people:
Millions of people still live in slavery. They’re exploited to create a lot of the products we wear and use everyday in poor working conditions, for little to nothing as payment. It's called human trafficking. One of the reasons clothing can be purchased at a very low price, is because the people who make them aren’t being paid living wages. Helping someone stay out of poverty and out of slavery through living wages and safe working environments, is a way to give back and do good by people.
Brands give back by doing good things in society:
A lot of companies give back through philanthropic efforts like volunteering, creating educational scholarships and donating funds to charities. While some of the brands on our site donate proceeds of their sales to specific causes and non-profit organizations, others work with disadvantaged members of their communities or donate their products to those in need. Forbes called us “Amazon of social good” because you can find thousands of different items on our site from brands with a positive impact in the world.
What causes do the brands on DoneGood.com give back to?
All of the 120+ brands on our site meet our criteria for giving back to people and the planet through eco-friendly and ethical practices, but many are going above and beyond to fight for human rights, animal rights, and food and environmental justice.
- MPOWERD gives back solar lights to provide clean energy for communities without electricity
- Beyond Good’s single origin chocolate protects 5 endangered species of lemurs that live in their supply chain.
- The For Purpose Kids toolkits inspire kids to give back, but also donate 5 meals and education to a child in India
- Conscious Steps’ socks, sweatshirts and candles support mental health, save animals, fight breast cancer, plant trees and support 14 other causes.
- Kind Karma’s jewelry provides art therapy and supports the future goals of at-risk and homeless youth.
- TerraCyle Global Foundation’s bracelets and frisbees that EACH remove 20 lbs of ocean trash and guarantee none of the trash collected will make it back to a landfill.
- Grace Farms Foods’ coffee gives back 100% of profits to fight forced labor world wide.
There’s just something pretty cool about knowing that you can get better stuff, support someone else’s livelihood and dreams, and have an impact on the environment all while buying the things you need or want. And also something pretty cool about you taking the time to read this because you’re interested in supporting brands doing good stuff!